Friday, May 05, 2006

Menacing Job Boards (They Suck!)

After being successfully "self un-employed" for about 3 years, and the screwing this last jack-off did me, I've spent the last couple days looking for "a real job” on Monster.com, Career Builder, HotJobs... I'm sure you know the deal.

What the hell!? It has been literally 25 years since I've "looked for a job" or went fishing for an interview. WOW, have things changed.

I spent countless hours dickin' around on these sites. Do employers really look at these things? Are there any shortcuts? What the hell are "key words"? Can't I just email these jobs, ask for an interview and sell myself in person?

Most of the job boards don't allow you to put all your qualifications in the "three little boxes" that they provide you.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on WTF to do with this shit???? Damn!

4 comments:

Max and Me said...

I don't know of anyone who has ever found a job on a job board. How do people find jobs these days?I do hope you find something! Good luck!

Anais Nin said...

Make a resume out on Word or something like that and attatch it to your profile on Monster, or whatever board you're working on. That's how you sell yourself now, with your resume. I have like 2 paragraphs at the end of mine describing who I am as a person, my abilities and what I plan to do in the near future.

I know it's all bullshit and I've been actively looking for a job for over a year. What I've been doing lately is thinking of companies that I'd like to work for, or hospitals (since I'm a Psych major and a Spanish major) and I just go directly to their websites, build a profile and attatch my resume to it. They keep those for like 90 days. I just apply for everything I think I can do. I'm not that picky. I just need a job. I think on one website I applied for something like 130 different positions. So far, I've only gotten two interviews from that and it's been like 6 weeks since I put my resume up. The other day I went to our local newspaper website and did the same thing with the profile bullshit and resume and applied for four different positions. And at a hotel I used to work at (It used to be Excelsior-you know where Clinton got in trouble for supposedly dropping his pants- now it's a Peabody hotel) anyway I applied for 16 jobs there the other day. I figure the more jobs I apply for, the more likely I am to get an interview and, subsequently, a job. It's also a good idea to call the HR department of wherever you apply online the next day or a few days later to see if they got your online application.

So, yeah, I feel like I'm writing a lot, but nothing is really meaning anything. It's 5am and I should be asleep, but nooooooo....I'm awake and running meandering words all over your blog.

ChickyBabe said...

I've never tried a job board. But agencies seem to like giving people the run around only to scout CVs then say "no thanks".

The Stiltwalker said...

I always thought people never really looked at the postings on these things until one day I actually got an interview offer in an email from something I'd posted a while back. So I assume some companies use them.